I got an award, I got an award! Well, kinda. I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award, which is for new bloggers. I think it’s pretty much like an email chain forward, but oh well. It’s a chance to connect with some new people and introduce other bloggers to each other.
Thanks to Simple Sumptuous Cooking for nominating me! Now I have to answer her 11 questions, list 11 facts about me, and then pick 11 people to nominate for the Liebster Award! I’m not sure why the number 11 is so important here. I kind of have an OCD thing about odd numbers, but I’m just gonna go with it even though it makes my eye twitch.at
How will you describe the target audience of your blog in one sentence?
People who appreciate sarcasm and positivity masked with cynicism while following the life of someone into fitness, food, and reading…?
What the primary reason for starting your blog and do you have a road map for monetizing your blog?
I mainly started my blog to keep writing. I wrote creatively and journaled throughout middle school, high school, and college. When I started working full-time, I felt pretty drained at the end of the day. Because I write and edit a ton for work, the last thing I wanted to do was come home and write at a computer again. After a while, however, I realized how much I missed it and how out of practice I was. So, long story short: I just want to write, vent, and document and reflect on life here.
I don’t have any sort of road map for monetizing my blog. One day I might like to do some freelance work writing and offering social media management and strategy, but that’s far off. Mainly I just want to write and get back in the swing of writing more creatively.
How often do you post content on your blog?
I’m trying to post once a week, but it doesn’t always work out. Between my full-time job, dog walks, gym sessions, a social life, and downtime, I don’t always have the time or the inspiration. I’m trying to schedule some posts so that I have them ready to go more often, though.
Are pictures and/or videos important to your blog?
Yes! I purchased a DSLR last year and am working on my photography game. At first, I had to use some cell phone photos or stock photos, but I’m committing to only using my own photos.
Do you hire people for writing content, photography and videos?
Nope. It’s all me.
Do you have a YouTube channel?
I don’t; I don’t foresee ever recording my own videos. I do not enjoy being on camera.
Do you also take advantage of social media like Pinterest, Instagram, StumbleUpon, etc?
Sure do. Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. I’ve also loaded a few of my links onto StumbleUpon. I know I should create a Facebook page for my blog, but I haven’t come clean with my family and friends that I’m blogging yet! Ha. Except friends who follow me on Twitter – I’ve shared links on there!
What is your blog’s biggest success?
I wouldn’t really call it a success yet, but…I’m honest. I don’t easily buy in to trends, ploys, or gimmicks. If I’m telling you a recipe is good, it is. If I’m telling you about a cool place in Southwest Virginia, it’s actually cool.
What aspect of your blog do you find challenging?
I think it’s been really hard to figure out what level of openness and transparency I’m comfortable with. I have a professional job, and while it’s fine and even beneficial for me to blog considering the job is writing/communication/marketing, I also worry about mixing the two. I would like to be open and honest about politics, mental health, and my opinions in general, but I’d never want something I said to offend those I work with or for people I work with to make assumptions about me based on my blog. And while I want to be open and honest about a lot of things, it’s pretty terrifying to think that many people, including those I only somewhat know in person, would know things about me from the internet.
What motivates you to continue blogging?
It’s a great creative outlet, gives me a chance to practice writing, and I like connecting with other writers and bloggers out there. Plus, if something I share helps someone in any way, that’s a win.
Where do you see your blog in the next 2 years, and 5 years?
I have no idea. I dream of being like Heather at dooce.com and being a super awesome lifestyle blogger, but I am probably not cool enough.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I used to play roller derby.
- Odd numbers make me feel anxious; I can’t have the tv or radio volume at anything other than an even number or multiple of 5.
- I have an older sister who is 7 1/2 years older.
- My dad is older than some of my friends’ grandparents (he’ll be 82 this year).
- I’m voting for Bernie Sanders this Super Tuesday.
- I’ve broken or fractured bones at least 5 times.
- I hate shopping.
- I grew up with a stay-at-home-dad and a working mom.
- My sister and I had tadpoles, parakeets, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, and dogs growing up. (Not all at the same time!)
- My family owns a lovely cabin in West Virginia that belonged to my grandmother; unfortunately, it needs a ton of work, but I hope we all have the time and energy to fix it up soon.
- I drink coffee every morning out of a very old mug with swans on it.
- Sydney at Mountain Girly Girl
- Grady at gradybird
- Ali at Run, Knit, Love
- Steph at Real Life Active
- Olivia at Simply Liv
- Karen at One Salty Kiss
- Kelsey at A Balancing Peach
- Brooke at This Modest Mom
- Natasha at Natasha Orme
- Sarah at Ark in the Desert
- Rosie at The Capsule Project
Questions for the Nominees
Please comment with a link to your answers so I can see them!
- Why did you start your blog?
- What makes your blog unique?
- If you could travel to anywhere regardless of health, safety, and budget concerns, where would you go and why?
- What is your favorite thing to cook?
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- What drives you?
- What scares you?
- Are you active? If so, what’s your favorite form of exercise?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- What was your first job?
- What do you hope your blog looks like in a few years?
To accept, these bloggers just have to write a post linking to the one in which they were nominated (this one), answer the 11 questions, nominate 11 other bloggers, and ask them 11 questions. Happy nominating, everyone.